" Satsuki, just as he is..." COYOTE MAG

Only present for autographs during the last Japan Expo, the ex-leader of the former band Rentrer en Soi wanted to talk with us about his successful solo career and his main side projects. Accustomed to tours in Western countries, Satsuki is preparing to release his expected first solo album: LUMINOUS. Lovers of exacerbated romanticism and epic pop-rock will rejoice…

Interview by Christophe LORENTZ
Pictures by Laurent KOFFEL


Interview SATSUKI

Rentrer en Soi disbanded in 2008. Can you say, today, what were the reasons for this separation?
- Satsuki: This was a part of Rentrer en Soi’s concept: return to oneself. So, in 2008, we arrived at the apex of this concept: This is the only reason for our separation. I had to “return to myself”.

When you started your solo career, did you have a clear idea about the style of music you wanted to do?
- Yes. I wanted to focus on singing and paying more attention to my voice. So that’s why I started this completely solo project.

How would you describe your music to someone who has never heard it?
- A warm and sweet voice, an atmospheric and cordial music, catchy melodies: this is my music style!

What emotions do you try to convey through your music?
- Those that come from the bottom of my heart. Satsuki means “piece of moon” and the moon shines through the darkness. My voice is like a moonbeam in the night. My songs are made to make everyone’s heart shine through the darkness – like the moon that shines at night.

And what do your songs talk about?
- Each album is based on a different concept. But one way or another they all relate to romanticism through romantic love songs. But each love story is different, so each CD is different…

How do you compose your music?
- I don’t have specific rules: it can start from a piano or guitar melody, or a vocal line… Sometimes I just walk in the streets and a melody suddenly comes to me! But usually I write the lyrics first, then I compose the music.

Along with your solo career, you also played with Kisaki Project and Moon Stream. What can you tell us about these two bands?
- Kisaki Project is the project of the bassist Kisaki, who created the band Phantasmagoria and took part of La:Sadies. He is literally my mentor: he has greatly influenced my work. Working with him is a very important experience for me; this is a real challenge for both of us, especially since he is the one who came to me: he found my voice interesting, and I couldn’t refuse (laughs). It’s also interesting to see Kisaki working as a producer of his music, since I’m the producer of my own music: I discover other ways of working… Moon Stream is an American band, but my best friend, Tomo Asaha, is the guitarist. He taught me English - a language I didn’t know when I started to work for Moon Stream. The band is currently recording, and we have also completed the recording of Kisaki Project’s new album.

You also did a coupling tour with Kaya - whose music and universe are quite different from yours. What memories do you have from this tour?
- In the end, our careers are quite similar: he was also part of a band before starting his solo project. It was interesting to talk with him. He has influenced me and I think his songs are very good. Originally, we just knew a little about each other, but at the end of the tour we were the best of friends (laughs)!

With all your tours, you have visited many countries. Where would you play again?
- Poland! I only went there once, and I didn’t know what to expect. I thought it was too far to have a sufficient public. But I was very surprised because there were a lot of fans and they gave me a wonderful welcome! Otherwise, I would like to go perform in South America because I have never gone there and I get a lot of messages from fans who come from there. Or go play in Dubai; it must be amazing (laughs)!

Your album will be released in January 2013. What can you tell us about it?
- I wanted it to be more for "live" shows, as if it were recorded in a concert hall. With a heavy sound but still very catchy.

You have been making music for over 10 years ... When you consider your overall career since the beginning of Rentrer en Soi until your solo career, what do you think of your evolution?
- It is difficult to express ... It was long, there were a lot of ups and downs ... And it's so hard to keep musicians (laughs)!

You came to this year's Japan Expo only for an autograph session. Why not for a concert?
- Ah! I really wanted to! It was unfortunately not possible this year, but I want to play at Japan Expo next year! So support me and talk about me around you!

Credits: COYOTE MAG
English translation: Satsuki FR

No comments:

Post a Comment